Homeowners often assume that a garage door is supposed to be noisy, however it can actually be a sign of a problem that should not be ignored. While it might be difficult to find a garage door that is completely silent when it opens and closes, it is not normal for garage doors to be excessively noisy.
If your garage door is making strange sounds, quickly make an appointment for a professional inspection and repair from a reputable garage door repair company. Doors can vary in the amount of noise they make when opening, but abnormal sounds are typically a warning sign that something isn’t working as it should. Before you end up with a costly problem or a door that won’t open when you’re running late, call Universal Garage Door Services for experienced Salt Lake City garage door repair.
Listen For Different Types Of Noises
Keep in mind that opening or closing your garage door will inevitably produce a certain amount of noise. Noise levels will depend on a few factors including:
- The age of your door and garage door opener
- If you have a chain-driven or belt-driven opener
If you hear excessive or strange noises such as grinding, scraping, screeching, or rattling, you should probably have both your door and opener inspected. Noisy garage doors can be caused by a number of factors such as:
- Loose screws, nuts or bolts
- Worn out or dried out rollers
- Worn, damaged, or broken springs and hinges
- Poor lubrication
- Loose belt or chain drive
- Malfunctioning garage door opener motor
- Cold temperatures
- Excessive moisture in the garage
Do Not Ignore A Noisy Garage Door
Because a noisy garage door often continues to function well, it is often overlooked and ignored resulting in a costly problem down the road. Springs can break and create a dangerous situation, old rollers can cause friction and vibration, openers can stop working, and doors can become wobbly, among many other problems. Even if you are not bothered by how noisy your garage door is, do not let it go unaddressed, as it may be a sign of a malfunctioning or worn down component.
Preventing A Noisy Garage Door
You can minimize the noisiness of your garage door with a few preventative actions such as:
- Scheduling annual inspections and maintenance to check for potential problems and provide an effective solutions for any existing issues
- Lubricating metal and moving parts to prevent friction or rust and create a smoother operation
- Opt for nylon rollers rather than steel ones
- Choose a belt-driven garage door opener instead of a chain-driven one
- Request a single-piece carriage assembly
Salt Lake City Garage Door Services
Universal Garage Door Services offers quality garage door maintenance and garage door repair that will keep your garage door functioning efficiently by addressing strange sounds and resolving potential problems before they can become worse. Call us today at (801) 784-4550 for more information or to schedule an appointment for Salt Lake City yearly garage door maintenance and service.
Universal Garage Door Services
2150 South 1300 East, Suite 500
Salt Lake City, UT 84106